Direct Voice/Fax/Text: 818.444.4547
Cristy Jonelis is Senior Counsel in the Firm’s Business Litigation Practice. Cristy is well-versed in all aspects of business and commercial litigation, having overseen numerous cases from inception to winning verdicts (and even the subsequent winning appeals). However, her primary focus is in the area of entertainment and media litigation, with particular emphasis in the anti-SLAPP arena.
Cristy has represented a wide variety of clients on both the plaintiff and defense side, including television and motion picture producers, reality television production companies, radio stations, film financiers, banks, investment firms, transportation companies, and credit card companies.
Cristy takes pride in her ability to help clients reach their endgame in the most efficient way possible, without sacrificing the quality of work product. Cristy is cognizant that cases often take left turns, and she is able to quickly adapt to respond to any obstacle that is thrown her way during the complex litigation process.
Cristy is a board member and secretary of Ballet For All Kids, a non-profit that provides national classical ballet and dance instruction to children of all abilities and needs.
Insights & Features
Practice & Experience
- Served as trial counsel for real estate investment firm in four-week trial involving a complex real estate dispute, obtaining judgment in client’s favor and recovering over two million dollars in prevailing party attorneys’ fees for client.
- Litigated numerous motions pursuant to California’s anti-SLAPP statute, including:
- Obtained dismissal of malicious prosecution claim against national law firm.
- Obtained dismissal of defamation claim brought against reality television personalities and their production company.
- Obtained dismissal of intentional interference claim brought against a major television network.
- Obtained dismissal of breach of contract and fraud claims arising out of multi-million dollar film finance transactions.
- Obtained dismissal of defamation claim brought against major television studio.
- Served as appellate counsel in numerous appeals before the California Court of Appeal, including:
- Obtained affirmance of judgment entered in fraudulent transfer action in Fujifilm v. Yang, 223 Cal. App. 4th 326 (2014).
- Obtained affirmance of trial court’s summary judgment ruling dismissing negligent misrepresentation claim in real estate dispute.
- Obtained affirmance of trial court’s anti-SLAPP ruling dismissing malicious prosecution claim against national law firm.
- Represented television production company in defeating an attempt to enjoin the production and broadcast of company’s television series.
- Represented investment banking firm in discrimination and harassment claim.
- Represented radio broadcasting company in wrongful termination claim.
- Represented film producer in sexual harassment case.
Education, Admissions And Accolades
- J.D., Loyola Law School, Los Angeles; Graduated summa cum laude at the top 1% of class as a Sayre MacNeil Scholar, member of Order of the Coif, and member of Alpha Sigma Nu honor society.
- B.A, California State University, Northridge; Graduated magna cum laude.
- Member of California State Bar; admitted to practice before Central District of California and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Admitted to practice law in the State of California
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2016, 2017, 2018