Chair of the Consumer Products Practice
Mark is a partner at the firm.
Mark specializes in representing consumer product companies in corporate, commercial, intellectual property, finance, transactional, merger and acquisition, insolvency, e-commerce, and sourcing matters. For over 30 years, Mark has been steeped in the apparel and textile space, building relationships with the leading players, and leveraging his experience to guide apparel, textile, and other consumer product clients during start ups, capital transactions, mergers, and acquisitions. Mark has the requisite unique, industry-specific experience to assist clients with navigating the best paths to success.
Mark and the firm represent consumer product and apparel clients in the following:
▪ Business formation and structuring
▪ Commercial and business litigation
▪ Contract negotiations
▪ Corporate finance and secured transactions
▪ E-commerce protection
▪ Employment and independent sales representation agreements
▪ Factoring and financing
▪ Financial planning and restructuring
▪ Labeling requirements
▪ Labor and employment
▪ Leasing of manufacturing facilities, warehouse, showroom and retail facilities
▪ Licensing and franchising
▪ Litigation and dispute resolutions
▪ Mergers and acquisitions
▪ Real estate acquisitions
▪ Stock and equity transactions
▪ Taxation matters
▪ Trademark, copyright and other forms of intellectual property
▪ Unfair competition
Practice & Experience
- Successfully closed a deal on behalf of an overseas company which purchased an international soft goods company based in New York, including transfers of intellectual property, customer relationships and other assets and involved the formation of a new corporate entity. The deal closed in approximately one month.
- Timely safeguarded the print graphics of a junior manufacturer to extend the commercial life of the design. The aggressive prosecution of mark infringement resulted in payment to the manufacturer.
- Numerous cases involving the cost-effective negotiation of commercial retail lease agreements.
- Prosecution against a major retailer on charge-back claims.
- Numerous sales, purchases and mergers of apparel manufacturers to domestic and multinational manufacturers.
- Used the assignment for the benefit of creditors in a case involving an insolvent swimwear manufacturer to allow a new company to come into existence, purchase the assets of the debtor and continue the manufacturer’s operation with no interruption.
- Initiated involuntary bankruptcy proceedings against a sportswear maker to obtain highly favorable recoveries for clients.
Education, Admissions And Accolades
- DePaul University College of Law (J.D., 1986)
- University of Illinois at Urbana (B.S., Finance, 1982)
Admitted to practice law in the State of California.
- Selected for the 2021 Top 100 list by Thompson Reuters of Southern California “Super Lawyers”
- Thomson Reuters Southern California “Super Lawyers” (2007-Present)
- American, California and Los Angeles County Bar Associations
- California Fashion Association
- Commercial Finance Association
- Textile Professional Club
- National Board of Trustees, National Jewish Health
- Board Member, New Community Jewish High School
- President, City of Hope, Apparel Industries Group
- Board Member, Fashion Industries Guild, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Lecturer at University of Southern California Business Expansion Program, Apparel Industry Entrepreneur Program
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- Speaker, Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising (June 2013)
- Panelist, Kingpins (Jan. 2013)