Co-Chair of the Mergers & Acquisitions Practice
Jonathan R. Hodes is a Partner of the firm, and Co-Chair of the Mergers and Acquisitions Practice group.
Jonathan specializes in buy side and sell side domestic and international mergers and acquisitions, management buy-outs, leveraged buy-outs, leveraged recaps, mezzanine and senior debt financing transactions, work-outs and secured lending and leasing transactions.
Jonathan’s focus emphasizes M&A activity in the middle market and also includes representation of emerging growth companies from inception through various tiers of venture capital and growth financing often with the goal of an exit through a sale, merger, IPO or other corporate finance transaction. He devotes significant time to private equity deals with an emphasis on add on portfolio acquisitions to existing platforms, and dispositions of portfolio companies.
Jonathan’s practice also includes serving as outside general counsel to companies handling all their corporate work, partnership and limited liability company formation and ongoing representation, corporate governance matters and fund formation. .He has a broad range of industry experience in many industries, including manufacturing, biologics, consumer goods, internet and e-commerce, money service business, television production and distribution, real estate development, construction management, technology, fund formation and hotel ownership and operations.
Jonathan also handles the acquisition, development, financing and leasing of commercial, industrial and residential real property projects. He has represented large public and private domestic real estate developers in major Southern California projects and joint ventures, including complex real estate financing transactions.
Practice & Experience
- Advising private equity portfolio companies on strategic acquisition and disposition strategies and general corporate matters affecting day to day operations;
- Serving as outside general counsel to numerous companies in all their regular and recurring matters, including securities laws compliance, corporate governance matters, M & A activities, employment agreements for senior executives, stock option plans, executive compensation, establishment of template agreements for operational matters; distribution agreements for international product distribution, and other corporate matters;
- Advising companies on joint venture formation with hedge funds and associated domestic and international financing transactions;
- Fund formation and representation
- Advising on bank lending and financing transactions from the borrower’s side and the lenders side on both senior secured, mezzanine and uni-tranche revolving credit and term loan credit facilities;
- Advising management on structuring and implementing management buyouts in high tech companies;
- Advising defense industry clients in international transactions and strategic alliances for joint production and development of military products;
- Advising on project financing transactions for real estate entitlement projects to be sold to retail public builders;
- Advising clients on commercial real property acquisitions, dispositions and commercial leasing transactions.
Education, Admissions And Accolades
- A.B. from Cornell University
- J.D. from Rutgers University School of Law
- Admitted to practice law in the State of California