“The other Partners and I are very proud of the culture we have created at Stubbs Alderton & Markiles. We have a set of values that define who we are and have been core to our culture for twenty years. While the concepts of diversity, equity, and inclusion have been around for decades, ubiquitous recognition of the need to establish policies that promote these important principles are fairly new. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are important to the Firm, and although they may not have been historically expressed, are integral to who we are as a Firm today. Additionally, we know we have more to learn and are committed to do the work that is necessary.
I therefore want to set forth the Firm’s position regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion, and to confirm these core values for our organization. First, the Firm unequivocally celebrates all diversity, and we believe that a diverse team brings together different perspectives and thoughts that make us a better organization and contribute to the quality of the services we provide to our clients. Second, we believe that equity must exist in all our policies and procedures, and in the manner in which we treat our professional and administrative staff, as well as in every opportunity we offer to prospective employees, clients, and those who do business with our Firm. Finally, our Firm is committed to, and it is my goal as Managing Partner, to create an inclusive environment where all our employees feel that their ideas and perspectives are heard and considered.”
Scott Alderton, Managing Partner
The Stubbs Alderton & Markiles DEI Committee is made up of the following members:
Scott Alderton, Adrian Cyhan, John De La Merced, Kevin Franco, Kelly Siobhan Laffey, Len Lanzi, Roger Lee, Simon Leefat, Tatiana Masis-Ordaz, Christine Morigi, Louis Wharton
Stubbs Alderton & Markiles, LLP has taken the following actions in furtherance of our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI):
- We formed a DEI committee with broad representation from groups across the firm, including associates and staff. The DEI committee’s purpose is to identify and execute actionable steps to further our commitments and to hold ourselves accountable to those commitments.
- We proudly partnered with OurOffice, a leading provider of DEI solutions, to help us evaluate our culture and strengthen it to ensure we are using our best efforts to maintain an equitable and inclusive workplace for our employees and all key stakeholders. As a result of the initial rigorous assessment of the DEI maturity of our infrastructure capabilities, and the efforts we made and attention we paid to our strategy, processes, policies and benefits, we were initially certified to be in the “Aware” stage with respect to our focus on efforts to make improvements in DEI. Leveraging their technology platform, we have continued to work through a disciplined approach with OurOffice to assess, plan, implement, manage and measure results from our DEI initiatives and are now certified in the "Focused" stage, meaning we are focused on efforts to make improvements.
- We have met the requirements of the Los Angeles County Bar Association’s “Pledge to Promote Diversity in the Legal Profession” and have proudly pledged.
- To facilitate the development and training of young lawyers, we established a formal mentorship program through which we assign a mentor to every associate with three years of experience or less and every associate of the Firm who desires to have a mentor. Mentees meet monthly with their mentors to discuss their professional and personal goals and how best to achieve those goals.
- To foster engagement and education, we formed a SAM Women Lawyers Resource Group which meets every other month to discuss the unique challenges facing women attorneys and provide tools to address those challenges.
- To foster engagement and education, we formed a SAM Lawyers of Color Resource Group which meets every other month to discuss professional and other issues that SAM’s lawyers of color face, as well as other topics of interest to members of the group.
- We are dedicated to continuing these efforts and will continue to update this page with additional actions.