Stubbs Alderton & Markiles’ Partner Kevin DeBré was featured as a guest lecturer at USC’s School of Engineering’s Synchrotron program, where he discussed corporation formation and IP fundamentals. The Synchrotron is Viterbi Startup Garage’s 8-week evening workshop accelerator. It provides entrepreneurs with a chance to learn the tactical side of setting up a company. Other topics covered in the program include:
- Strategy: Learn how to use customer discovery, the lean startup method, and strategic partnerships to find your optimal path to your beachhead market.
- Legal: Get advice from experts on managing corporate and intellectual property issues. Discover ways to avoid expensive (and potentially devastating) problems down the road.
- People: Your long-term success relies on your ability to build the right team and culture. Learn how to hire and compensate employees, tap into the expertise of advisors/mentors, and keep key stakeholders in the loop.
- Operations: As a fiscally responsible steward of your business, you’ll need to know what key metrics to track, how to manage cash flow, and what it takes to demonstrate “traction” and so much more.
- Fundraising: When it comes to securing money to finance your venture, knowledge is power. Understand your options for raising capital, how much to raise and when, the mechanics of cap tables and term sheets, and the overall LA venture landscape.
- Storytelling: The entrepreneur CEO is the Chief Storyteller, constantly needing to persuade others to follow his/her vision. Learn about story structure, the most important elements of a compelling story, and proven tips from the pros.
- Pitch Prep: Roll up your sleeves and polish your pitch at this hands-on workshop. Get real-time feedback from other entrepreneurs, friendly VCs, and other experienced presenters.
- Final Pitches: Present your startup to a panel of early-stage investors, field their questions, and get constructive feedback. The session will conclude with a panel discussion about how to excel in the fundraising process.
To find out more about Stubbs Alderton & Markiles’ Intellectual Property & Technology Transactions practice contact Kevin DeBré at email@example.com
Kevin D. DeBré is the chair of the Firm’s Intellectual Property & Technology Transactions Practice Group. Kevin advises entrepreneurs and companies that use intellectual property to build their businesses. Kevin has particular expertise in structuring and negotiating technology commercialization and patent licenses, strategic alliances, research and development collaborations, trademark licensing and brand merchandising agreements and manufacturing, distribution and marketing arrangements. He also counsels clients on compliance with data security and privacy laws and regulations.