Marc Kenny is a corporate partner at Stubbs Alderton & Markiles, LLP.
Marc’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private securities offerings, cross-border transactions, and other strategic transactions representing private equity funds, independent sponsors, family offices as well as public and private corporations. Over his 20+ year career, Marc has had the opportunity to work in Los Angeles, Silicon Valley, and London representing clients on a range of domestic and cross-border transaction with an emphasis on the digital media, technology, communications, entertainment, healthcare, and energy industries. Marc regularly speaks at events on topics such as private equity, M&A, and venture capital deal-making trends.
Prior to joining SA&M in August 2017, Marc worked at Global 50 and AM LAW 100 law firms in the U.S. and London. Marc received his J.D., cum laude, from Boston University School of Law, where he was an Edward F. Hennessey Distinguished Scholar and G. Joseph Tauro Scholar. Marc received his B.A., cum laude, in Political Science from Bucknell University. He is admitted to practice in California, New York, and the District of Columbia.
Practice & Experience
- Platinum Equity, a global private equity firm with approximately $13 billion of assets under management, in various acquisitions and dispositions, including the sale of Keen Transport to Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics ASA (OSE: WWL); the sale of Truesense Imaging to ON Semiconductor, Inc. (NASDAQ: ONNN); the sale of Ulticom, Inc. to Mavenir Systems (NASDAQ: MVNR); the sale of Altura Communication Solutions to an affiliate of Silver Oak Services Partners; the sale of PEAK Technologies to an affiliate of Keystone Capital, Inc.; the acquisition of the wireless deployment business of Kratos Defense & Security Solutions, Inc. (NASDAQ: KTOS), and the subsequent sale of the newly named business, Wireless Facilities, Inc.; the sale of KTAQ of Dallas to London Broadcasting Company; and multiple add-on acquisitions for many of Platinum Equity’s portfolio companies.
- AllTrails, an online database of curated digital outdoor maps, in its recapitalization and majority sale transaction by Spectrum Equity.
- Audioboom Group, a U.K. AIM-listed company in the on-demand audio industry, in its proposed acquisition of Triton Digital, Inc., a portfolio company of Vector Capital.
- Alpine Pacific Capital, a West Coast private equity firm, in its acquisitions and co-investments, including its co-investments in connection with Arable Capital Partners’ acquisition of Fresh Innovations California and Farmington Fresh Cuts, processors of fresh sliced apples and other packaged fruits.
- DIRECTV, a direct-to-home digital satellite television provider, in its acquisitions and strategic equity investments, including the acquisition of LifeShield, Inc., a privately held company providing wireless home security systems and solutions; the acquisition of the multiband division of Goodman Networks Incorporated, a division providing subscription-based video, high-speed internet and voice services and related call center functions; and its strategic equity investments in various digital media companies, including FanDuel, Digitalsmiths, FreeWheel Media, i.TV, and LiveClips.
- MGM Studios, a media company engaged in the production and distribution of feature films and television programs, in its strategic equity investments in various digital media companies.
- Credit Karma, a personal finance technology company, in various financing transactions, including its $75 million follow-on Series C growth financing led by Tiger Global Management, Google Capital and Susquehanna Growth Equity; its $85 million Series C financing led by Google Capital, Tiger Global Management and existing investors Susquehanna Growth Equity and Ribbit Capital; its $30 million Series B preferred stock financing led by Ribbit Capital and Susquehanna Growth Equity; its Series A preferred stock financing led by QED Investors with participation from SV Angel, Felicis Ventures and Founders Fund; and its initial convertible note financing.
- Constellation Brands (NYSE: STZ and STZ.B), a leading beverage alcohol company, in its $1 billion acquisition of Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits and its acquisition of the Prisoner Wine Company.
- Fang Investment Group, a foreign investment fund, in its minority equity investments in emerging growth technology and digital media companies, including Zooz Mobile, GraphSQL, Lytro, and Atheer.
- Pine River Capital Management, an alternative investment fund, in its proposed restructuring transaction of a national temporary staffing business based in Southern California.
- Verdugo Hills Hospital, a non-profit community hospital based in Southern California, in its sale of substantially all of its assets to an affiliate of the University of Southern California.
- Thermata, an Idealab operating company engaged in the development of technology for concentrating solar power systems, in its sale to SolarReserve, LLC.
- RayTracker, an Idealab operating company engaged in the development of tracking technology and photovoltaic systems, in its sale to First Solar, Inc. (NASDAQ: FSLR).
* Some of the matters listed above were handled by Marc prior to joining SA&M.