Karine is a complex commercial litigator in the Business Litigation practice group.
Karine represents clients in commercial litigation matters, including product liability, infringement of intellectual property rights, real estate, and complex business disputes. She has extensive experience in all aspects of litigation, including pre-litigation settlement discussions, law and motion practice, discovery, and assisting and conducting trial.
Her strong foundation in education, advocacy, and impact reaches beyond the walls of academia. Karine is committed to improving academic and social outcomes for students in her community. Karine is an active member of the Pasadena Bar Association, where she is one of the founding committee members for the Mentor Committee. The PBA Mentor Committee strives to foster professional develop for law students and recent graduates by connecting the mentees with seasoned attorneys to be his or her potential mentor. She also volunteers as an attorney proctor for the Teen Court Program of the Los Angeles Superior Court. Teen Court is an innovative program that focuses on the rehabilitation of juvenile offenders rather than retribution or punishment.
Karine earned her Juris Doctor from the University of Southern California Gould School of Law, and currently serves on the USC Gould Alumni Committee, Los Angeles Chapter. While in law school, Karine was a Senior Executive Editor of the USC Business Law Advisor publication, which ran practitioner-focused advisory articles relevant to the intersection of business and law. She also served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Ronald S.W. Lew of the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
practice & experience
- Successfully defeated class certification in defense of a manufacturer, against a putative class action alleging product liability, breach of contract, and breach of warranty claims and seeking in excess of 750 million in damages. The parties subsequently entered into a settlement pursuant to which the client, a subsidiary of an entity that ranks in the top 20 of Fortune Global 500, paid no money to plaintiffs.
- Persuaded an insurer to reverse its denial of coverage and, after continual lowballing of estimated repair costs by the insurer, recovered 100% of the amount of the claim, which involved extensive real property damage.
- Successfully defended a California partnership against claims of intentional interference with prospective economic advantage and breach of contract claims in which the damages sought, if obtained, would devastate the partnership’s survival.
- Prosecuted and obtained a judgment involving a 6-figure contract claim and thereafter successfully collected payment on the judgment.
- In a pro-bono matter, successfully reversed the Social Security Administration’s cessation of disability benefits of a low-income claimant. After written statements, reports, and a hearing, the analyst reinstated the claimant’s benefits and status as an individual with a disability, noting the claimant’s unique health ramifications.