Marc Kenny is a Corporate Partner at Stubbs Alderton & Markiles, LLP.
Marc’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private securities offerings, cross-border transactions, and other strategic transactions representing private equity funds, independent sponsors, family offices as well as public and private corporations. Over his 20+ year career, Marc has had the opportunity to work in Los Angeles, Silicon Valley, and London representing clients on a range of domestic and cross-border transaction with an emphasis on the digital media, technology, communications, entertainment, healthcare, and energy industries. Marc regularly speaks at events on topics such as private equity, M&A, and venture capital deal making trends.
Prior to joining SA&M in August 2017, Marc worked at Global 50 and AM LAW 100 law firms in the U.S. and London.
Practice & Experience
- Platinum Equity, a global private equity firm with approximately $13 billion of assets under management, in various acquisitions and dispositions, including the sale of Keen Transport to Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics ASA (OSE: WWL); the sale of Truesense Imaging to ON Semiconductor, Inc. (NASDAQ: ONNN); the sale of Ulticom, Inc. to Mavenir Systems (NASDAQ: MVNR); the sale of Altura Communication Solutions to an affiliate of Silver Oak Services Partners; the sale of PEAK Technologies to an affiliate of Keystone Capital, Inc.; the acquisition of the wireless deployment business of Kratos Defense & Security Solutions, Inc. (NASDAQ: KTOS), and the subsequent sale of the newly named business, Wireless Facilities, Inc.; the sale of KTAQ of Dallas to London Broadcasting Company; and multiple add-on acquisitions for many of Platinum Equity’s portfolio companies.
- AllTrails, an online database of curated digital outdoor maps, in its recapitalization and majority sale transaction by Spectrum Equity.
- Audioboom Group, a U.K. AIM-listed company in the on-demand audio industry, in its proposed acquisition of Triton Digital, Inc., a portfolio company of Vector Capital.
- Alpine Pacific Capital, a West Coast private equity firm, in its acquisitions and co-investments, including its co-investments in connection with Arable Capital Partners’ acquisition of Fresh Innovations California and Farmington Fresh Cuts, processors of fresh sliced apples and other packaged fruits.
- DIRECTV, a direct-to-home digital satellite television provider, in its acquisitions and strategic equity investments, including the acquisition of LifeShield, Inc., a privately held company providing wireless home security systems and solutions; the acquisition of the multiband division of Goodman Networks Incorporated, a division providing subscription-based video, high-speed internet and voice services and related call center functions; and its strategic equity investments in various digital media companies, including FanDuel, Digitalsmiths, FreeWheel Media, i.TV, and LiveClips.
- MGM Studios, a media company engaged in the production and distribution of feature films and television programs, in its strategic equity investments in various digital media companies.
- Credit Karma, a personal finance technology company, in various financing transactions, including its $75 million follow-on Series C growth financing led by Tiger Global Management, Google Capital and Susquehanna Growth Equity; its $85 million Series C financing led by Google Capital, Tiger Global Management and existing investors Susquehanna Growth Equity and Ribbit Capital; its $30 million Series B preferred stock financing led by Ribbit Capital and Susquehanna Growth Equity; its Series A preferred stock financing led by QED Investors with participation from SV Angel, Felicis Ventures and Founders Fund; and its initial convertible note financing.
- Constellation Brands (NYSE: STZ and STZ.B), a leading beverage alcohol company, in its $1 billion acquisition of Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits and its acquisition of the Prisoner Wine Company.
- Fang Investment Group, a foreign investment fund, in its minority equity investments in emerging growth technology and digital media companies, including Zooz Mobile, GraphSQL, Lytro, and Atheer.
- Pine River Capital Management, an alternative investment fund, in its proposed restructuring transaction of a national temporary staffing business based in Southern California.
- Verdugo Hills Hospital, a non-profit community hospital based in Southern California, in its sale of substantially all of its assets to an affiliate of the University of Southern California.
- Thermata, an Idealab operating company engaged in the development of technology for concentrating solar power systems, in its sale to SolarReserve, LLC.
- RayTracker, an Idealab operating company engaged in the development of tracking technology and photovoltaic systems, in its sale to First Solar, Inc. (NASDAQ: FSLR).
* Some of the matters listed above were handled by Marc prior to joining SA&M.
Education, Admissions And Accolades
- J.D., cum laude, Boston University School of Law, where he was an Edward F. Hennessey Distinguished Scholar and G. Joseph Tauro Scholar
- B.A., cum laude, in Political Science from Bucknell University
- Admitted to practice in California, New York, and the District of Columbia.
Marc regularly speaks at events on topics such as private equity, M&A trends, and venture capital deal making, including the following:
- Roundtable Discussions on Private Equity and M&A
- Moderator: “Private Equity Outlook: Consumer Products & Services” (New York, March 2017)
- Moderator: “Family Office Direct Investment Trends & Opportunities” (Los Angeles, February 2017)
- Moderator: “Private Equity and M&A Outlook for 2017” (Los Angeles, January 2017)
- Moderator: “Private Equity Outlook: Preparing to Sell Your Business” (Los Angeles, September 2016)
- Moderator: “Private Equity Outlook: Private Equity Fundraising” (Los Angeles, May 2016)
- Moderator: “Private Equity Outlook: Consumer Products & Services” (Chicago, April 2016)
- Moderator: “Private Equity and M&A Outlook for 2016” (Los Angeles, January 2016)
- Moderator: “Private Equity Outlook: What is Next for Fundraising” (Los Angeles, September 2015)
- Moderator: “Private Equity Outlook: Consumer Products & Services” (Los Angeles, April 2015)
- Moderator: “Private Equity and M&A Outlook for 2015”(Los Angeles, December 2014)
- Moderator: “Investing in Disruptive Health Care Technologies” (Los Angeles, May 2014)
- Silicon Dragon LA – Panelist: “Dealmakers” (Pasadena, August 2015)
- Money2020 Conference – Moderator: “Preparing for Investors & Investments” (New York, October 2013)
- DWT’s DOWNLOAD Digital Media Conference – Panelist: “Acquisition Strategies in the Digital Industry” (New York, September 2013)
- Justice Bus Project with OneJustice (www.onejustice.org) (February 2015 & November 2016)
- Board Member of Bucknell University’s Association for the Arts (2010 – 2013)
- AYSO Girls Soccer Coach, Region 13 (U7, U8, U10, Grad Series, and All-Star Divisions) (2011 – 2015)
- 199-Mile Running Relay for Organ Donation (www.therelay.com)(2007-2009)