Direct Voice/Fax/Text: 818.444.4546
Karine Akopchikyan is an associate in the Firm’s Business Litigation Practice group.
Karine has extensive experience representing and advising plaintiffs and defendants in a wide range of business and commercial disputes in state and federal courts. She focuses her practice on resolving complex contractual disputes, intellectual property disputes (including copyright, trademark, patent, right of publicity, and trade secret claims), cyber insurance coverage disputes, and disputes involving unfair competition, fraud, and other business torts. In large part, Karine Akopchikyan’s success lies in her integrity, diligence, and ability to bring people together.
Outside of the office, Karine is committed to improving the academic and social outcomes for students in her community. With roots as a credentialed public school teacher, Karine helped create the Pasadena Bar Association’s Mentorship Committee, which connects law students with seasoned attorneys. In addition, she regularly volunteers as an attorney proctor for the Los Angeles Superior Court’s Teen Court Program, which focuses on the rehabilitation of juvenile offenders.
Karine Akopchikyan earned her law degree from USC Gould School of Law and presently serves as Vice President of USC Gould Alumni Committee. While in law school, Karine was a Senior Executive Editor of USC’s Business Law Advisor, which is a student-run publication focused on advisory articles relevant to the intersection of business and law. She also served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Ronald S.W. Lew of the United States District Court.
Karine is admitted to practice law before all California state and federal courts.
Insights & Features
Practice & Experience
- Successfully defeated class certification in defense of a manufacturer, against a putative class action alleging product liability, breach of contract, and breach of warranty claims and seeking in excess of 750 million in damages. The parties subsequently entered into a settlement pursuant to which the client, a subsidiary of an entity that ranks in the top 20 of Fortune Global 500, paid no money to plaintiffs
- Persuaded an insurer to reverse its denial of coverage and, after continual lowballing of estimated repair costs by the insurer, recovered 100% of the amount of the claim, which involved extensive real property damage
- Successfully defended a California partnership against claims of intentional interference with prospective economic advantage and breach of contract claims in which the damages sought, if obtained, would devastate the partnership’s survival
- Prosecuted and obtained a judgment involving a 6-figure contract claim and thereafter successfully collected payment on the judgment
- In a pro-bono matter, successfully reversed the Social Security Administration’s cessation of disability benefits of a low-income claimant. After written statements, reports, and a hearing, the analyst reinstated the claimant’s benefits and status as an individual with a disability, noting the claimant’s unique health ramifications
Education, Admissions And Accolades
- JD, University of Southern California Gould School of Law
- Chair of the USC Gould Alumni Committee, Los Angeles Chapter
- Served as Senior Executive Editor of the USC Business Law Advisor
- Served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Ronald S.W. Lew of the United States District Court for the Central District of California
- Serves as a Committee Member of the Pasadena Bar Association Mentor Committee
- Volunteer, Attorney Proctor of the Teen Court program for the Los Angeles Superior Court