John R. De La Merced is an attorney at Stubbs Alderton & Markiles, LLP and is a member of the firm’s Business Litigation Group, representing clients in commercial, intellectual property, and real estate disputes in federal court, state court, and arbitration. His experience encompasses all aspects of the litigation process, including managing client matters, drafting operative pleadings and responses, law and motion practice, discovery, mediation, client counseling, and assisting in arbitration and trial.
Prior to joining the firm, John was an associate at a large international law firm where he represented clients in complex trust and estate litigation and commercial litigation matters.
An active member of the community, John is the President and a member of the Board of Governors for the Philippine American Bar Association, the oldest and largest local association of Filipino-American lawyers in the United States. John is also a proud member of the UCLA School of Law Alumni Association Board of Directors, and the St. Thomas More Society of LA Advisory Committee. In 2018, John was a member of the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of LA County Board of Governors. John further enjoys mentoring current and future law students, as well as junior attorneys in the Southern California area.
Practice & Experience
- Represents clients in various types of disputes, including breach of contract claims, breach of fiduciary duty claims, trade secrets, partnership disputes, real estate, and complex commercial disputes, in federal and state court, and in arbitration proceedings.
- Prepared for and second chaired a two-week arbitration proceeding on behalf of a pharmaceutical company in a bet-the-company case.
- Successfully argued a motion to transfer on behalf of a client in an intellectual property dispute, transferring the matter from the United States District Court for the Central District of California to the Southern District of New York.
- Drafted various successful ex parte applications/requests for relief, including ex parte applications to continue trial and confirm the sale of real property, and an ex parte request for relief to take preliminary discovery of an opposing party.
Education, Admissions And Accolades
- B.A., cum laude, from the University of California, Riverside
- J.D. from UCLA School of Law
- He is admitted to practice law in the State of California
- Served as a judicial extern to the Honorable S. James Otero of the United States District Court for the Central District of California
- Served as a judicial extern to the Honorable R. Bruce Minto of the Los Angeles Superior Court
- Served as chief articles editor of the Asian Pacific American Law Journal, one of only two law journals in the United States that focuses exclusively on legal issues affecting Asian Pacific American communities
John R. De La Merced
John R. De La Merced