John R. De La Merced is an attorney at Stubbs Alderton & Markiles, LLP and is a member of the firm’s Business Litigation Practice group, representing clients in commercial, intellectual property, and real estate disputes in federal court, state court, and arbitration. His experience encompasses all aspects of the litigation process, including managing client matters, drafting operative pleadings and responses, law and motion practice, discovery, mediation, client counseling, and assisting in arbitration and trial.
Prior to joining the firm, John was an associate at a large international law firm where he represented clients in complex trust and estate litigation and commercial litigation matters.
An active member of the community, John is the President and a member of the Board of Governors for the Philippine American Bar Association, the oldest and largest local association of Filipino-American lawyers in the United States. John is also a proud member of the UCLA School of Law Alumni Association Board of Directors, and the St. Thomas More Society of LA Advisory Committee. In 2018, John was a member of the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of LA County Board of Governors. John further enjoys mentoring current and future law students, as well as junior attorneys in the Southern California area.
Practice & Experience
- Represents clients in a variety of contentious matters, including breach of contract claims, fraud claims, breach of fiduciary duty claims, intellectual property disputes, partnership disputes, real estate disputes, judicial dissolution, and other complex commercial disputes, in federal and state court, and in arbitration proceedings.
- Prepared for and second-chaired a successful two-week arbitration proceeding on behalf of a pharmaceutical company against its former partner in a bet-the-company case dealing with claims of breach of contract, misappropriation of trade secrets, and declaratory relief.
- Successfully represented a celebrity chef and a business partner in a multi-million dollar dispute against a third partner alleging claims of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract. The matter settled on the eve of the final arbitration hearing.
- Has drafted and/or argued various successful motions, oppositions to motions, and ex parte applications, which include, but are not limited to, a motion to transfer a matter to the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, a demurrer, an opposition to a demurrer, an opposition to a motion for summary judgment, various discovery motions, and ex parte applications to continue trial, confirm the sale of real property, and to take the preliminary discovery of an opposing party.
Education, Admissions And Accolades
- UCLA School of Law, J.D.; Asian Pacific American Law Journal, Volume 19 Chief Articles Editor
- University of California, Riverside, B.A., cum laude
- Admitted in the State of California
- Served as Judicial Extern to the Honorable S. James Otero, United States District Court for the Central District of California
- Served as Judicial Extern to the Honorable R. Bruce Minto, Los Angeles Superior Court