John R. De La Merced is an associate of the firm. His practice focuses on business litigation, which includes commercial and intellectual property disputes. His experience encompasses all aspects of the litigation process, including drafting operative pleadings and responses, law and motion practice, discovery, mediation, client counseling and assisting in trial.
Prior to joining the firm in 2017, John was an associate at a large national law firm where he primarily served individuals, families, and charities in complex trust and estate disputes, trust and estate administration, as well as conservatorship and guardianship matters. John also assisted in general commercial litigation matters, which included breach of contract cases, breach of fiduciary duty claims, and partnership disputes.
John is currently the President-Elect of the Philippine american bar association and is a member of its board of governors. In 2019, he will serve as the organization’s president. John also serves on the board of governors for the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Los Angeles County, and on the advisory committee for the St. Thomas More Society of Los Angeles.
John R. De La Merced
John R. De La Merced
Practice & Experience
- Represents clients in various types of disputes, including breach of contract claims, breach of fiduciary duty claims, trade secrets, partnership disputes, real estate, and complex commercial disputes, in federal and state court, and in arbitration proceedings.
- Prepared for and second chaired a two-week arbitration proceeding on behalf of a pharmaceutical company in a bet-the-company case.
- Successfully argued a motion to transfer on behalf of a client in an intellectual property dispute, transferring the matter from the United States District Court for the Central District of California to the Southern District of New York.
- Drafted various successful ex parte applications/requests for relief, including ex parteapplications to continue trial and confirm the sale of real property, and an ex parte request for relief to take preliminary discovery of an opposing party.
Education, Admissions And Accolades
- B.A., cum laude, from the University of California, Riverside
- J.D. from UCLA School of Law
- He is admitted to practice law in the State of California
- Served as a judicial extern to the Honorable S. James Otero of the United States District Court for the Central District of California
- Served as a judicial extern to the Honorable R. Bruce Minto of the Los Angeles Superior Court
- Served as chief articles editor of the Asian Pacific American Law Journal, one of only two law journals in the United States that focuses exclusively on legal issues affecting Asian Pacific American communities