John R. De La Merced
Direct Voice/Fax/Text: 818.444.4543
John De La Merced is an attorney at Stubbs Alderton & Markiles, LLP and is a member of the firm’s Business Litigation group, representing clients in commercial, intellectual property, and real estate disputes in federal court, state court, and arbitration. John’s experience encompasses all aspects of the litigation process, including managing client matters, drafting operative pleadings and responses, law and motion practice, discovery, mediation, client counseling, and assisting in arbitration and trial.
Since joining the firm, John De La Merced has served as co-trial counsel in various arbitration and court proceedings and has been instrumental in securing favorable results on behalf of the firm and its clients. Understanding that litigation is a team effort, John prides himself in ensuring that clients appreciate how the facts of their case intertwine with the relevant legal issues. John’s strong attention to detail and thoughtfulness in analyzing the law provide his clients with the confidence of knowing that they have an advocate in their corner who is truly looking out for their interests.
Prior to joining the firm, John was an associate at a large international law firm where he represented clients in complex trust and estate litigation and commercial litigation matters.
An active member of the community, John currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Philippine American Bar Association (PABA), the oldest and largest local association of Filipino-American lawyers in the United States, after having served as PABA’s President in 2019. John is also Vice President of the UCLA Law Alumni Association Board of Directors, and also serves on the Board of Governors for the National Filipino American Lawyers Association. Previously, John served as a member of the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Los Angeles County Board of Governors in 2018 and on the St. Thomas More Society of Los Angeles Advisory Committee from 2016 to 2018. John also mentors current and future law students, as well as junior attorneys in the Southern California area.
Practice & Experience
- Has represented clients in a variety of contentious matters, including breach of contract claims, fraud claims, breach of fiduciary duty claims, intellectual property disputes, partnership disputes, real estate disputes, judicial dissolution, and other complex commercial disputes in federal and state court, and in arbitration proceedings before JAMS and AAA.
- Served as co-trial counsel in a successful two-week arbitration proceeding on behalf of a pharmaceutical company against its former partner in a bet-the-the company case dealing with claims of breach of contract, misappropriation of trade secrets, and declaratory relief.
- Successfully represented a celebrity chef and a business partner in a multi-million dollar dispute against a third partner alleging claims of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract. The matter settled on the eve of the final arbitration hearing.
- Served as co-trial counsel in a bench trial in state court defending against an action for judicial dissolution.
Education, Admissions And Accolades
- J.D., UCLA School of Law; Asian Pacific American Law Journal, Volume 19 Chief Articles Editor
- B.A., cum laude, Political Science, University of California, Riverside
- Admitted to practice law in the State of California
- Judicial Extern to the Honorable S. James Otero, United States District Court for the Central District of California
- Judicial Extern to the Honorable R. Bruce Minto, Los Angeles Superior Court
- Speaker on CLE Panel entitled “Arbitration: A How-To-Guide” at JAMS, Downtown Los Angeles
Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2020-2021