Joe Stubbs is a founding Partner of the firm and a member of the firm’s executive committee. He is co-chair of the firm’s Venture Capital and Emerging Growth practice group, and of the firm’s Mergers and Acquisitions Practice group.
Joe practices in the areas of corporate and securities law, emphasizing the corporate representation of both publicly-held and privately-held emerging growth and middle-market companies, venture capital and private equity firms, angel investment groups and investment banks. He acts as outside general counsel to numerous emerging growth and technology companies, advising on a wide range of legal and strategic issues at all stages of their evolutionary path. He particularly concentrates on advising companies in preparing for and successfully completing their angel, venture capital, private equity and debt financing transactions, their merger, acquisition and divestiture transactions and their initial and follow-on public offerings. He also serves as outside general counsel to various publicly-held companies, providing advice on all aspects of their business activities, including securities law compliance and corporate governance matters. His experience also includes corporate partnerships, restructurings and technology licensing.
Joe has lectured and written extensively on subjects relating to emerging growth companies, mergers and acquisitions, venture capital transactions, and public and private offerings of securities. He has been a frequent lecturer at programs sponsored by, among others, the Los Angeles County economic development corporation, the software council of Southern California, the Practicing law institute, the CalTech Enterprise Forum, the American Bar Association and the Los Angeles County Bar Association.
Practice & Experience
- Securities regulation
- Corporate governance and investigations
- Mergers, acquisitions and divestitures
- Domestic and international joint ventures
- Cross-border transactions
- Capital formation, angel, venture capital and private equity transactions
- Debt financing transactions
- Commercial contracts
- Supply, distribution and marketing agreements
- Executive employment and incentive agreements
- Software and other technology licensing
- Technology transfers from universities and private institutions
- Electronic commerce; and the development, acquisition and clearance of rights in intellectual property (particularly with respect to information technology, the Internet and new media products)
Education, Admissions And Accolades
- B.A., Southwest Missouri State University
- J.D from the University of Missouri School of Law
- Admitted in the States of California and Missouri
- Super Lawyers 2016, 2017, 2018