James A. Sedivy is an attorney with the firm. For the past 36 years he has been involved in litigating business and commercial disputes often arising out of employment and real property matters. In addition he focuses on trademark and copyright registration, maintenance and enforcement as well as litigation arising from these substantive areas of the law. James has represented artists and companies regarding the negotiation and drafting of agreements relating to acquisition of intellectual property rights, celebrity endorsements, modeling, acting, commercial production, film production, foreign licensing, literary property, motion picture acquisition and distribution, music publishing, personal management, music recording and screenplays.
Practice & Experience
- Obtained successful resolutions to multiple cases brought by client for trademark infringement against novelty and fragrance manufacturers.
- Obtained successful resolution in real property dispute for co-owner of property.
- Obtained successful resolution for clothing designer and retailer regarding employment wage and hour claim.
- Successfully resolved multiple claims of invasion of rights of publicity brought by celebrities against client.
- Defended multiple clothing manufacturers and major retail stores in actions brought against them for alleged copyright infringement of fabric designs.
- Obtained nonsuit in jury trial for record producer alleged to have interfered with contract for famous recording artist.
- Obtained preliminary injunction for jewelry manufacturer in copyright infringement case.
- Obtained dismissals for defendants in copyright infringement suit with defendants establishing ownership to disputed copyrights.
- Obtained early distribution from minor’s blocked trust account for actor.
- Obtained a writ of mandate from the california court of appeals vacating a trial court judgment and entering judgment in favor of defendant with costs being awarded to client.
- Obtained court judgment for defendant in business dispute action for breach of contract and fraud.
- Negotiated and drafted multiple film acquisition and distribution agreements for DVD manufacturer and distribution company.
Education, Admissions And Accolades
- B.A. from Syracuse University
- J.D. from Gonzaga University School of Law
- Admitted to practice before the United States District Courts, Central District of California, Central District of California, Northern District of California, and District of Nevada.
- Member of the State Bar of California and the State Bar of Nevada
- Contributing author to Musician’s Business and Legal Guide (Prentice Hall, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Editions)
- Contributing author to The Actor’s Manual (Beverly Hills Bar Association)