Chair of the Trademark & Brand Protection Practice
Co-Chair of the Privacy & Data Security Practice
Direct Voice/Fax/Text: 818.444.6353
Heather A. Antoine is a Partner and Chair of the Firm’s Trademark & Brand Protection practice and Co-Chair of the Privacy & Data Security practice group.
Heather’s practice focuses on protecting a company’s intellectual property; a fundamental feature of every business. Heather’s practice includes trademark clearance and selection, domestic and foreign trademark prosecution, enforcement, proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), licensing, trade secret protection, copyright, rights of publicity, domain names disputes, and general client counseling. Heather believes in supporting companies at each stage – from due diligence when choosing a name, to ongoing brand management, to ensuring portfolios are safeguarded and ready for sale.
Heather is also focused on guiding businesses through the ever-expanding maze of privacy laws, both domestically and internationally. This includes drafting website policies, compliance with specific privacy laws (such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Children’s Online Privacy and Protection Act (COPPA), and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)). Heather works with companies to design and strengthen their privacy and data security policies and practices, to help them prevent data security breaches, and to minimize the risks associated therein.
Heather serves as Vice Chair of the California Lawyers Association Intellectual Property Section. Heather frequently speaks and writes about IP, Internet, tech, and privacy issues. She has been quoted in publications such as the Los Angeles Times and CNBC. Heather has been recognized by her peers for excellence in her practice, having been selected as Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star® multiple times.
Industry & Experience
- Fashion and Retail
- Consumer Products
- Food and Beverage
- Restaurant and Hospitality
- Software-as-a-Service (SaaS
Practice & Experience
- Brand development and strategy
- Trademark prosecution and maintenance (domestic and international)
- Proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB)
- Privacy and data security law
- Trademark licensing
- Sweepstakes and contest rules
- Consent and Coexistence Agreements
- Software-as-a-Service, End User License, and Web Development and Service Agreements
- IP litigation (trademark, trade secret, copyright, rights of publicity)
Education, Admissions And Accolades
- B.A. in Diplomacy and World Affairs from Occidental College
- J.D. from Whittier Law School
Admitted to practice law before the California Supreme Court, all California state courts, as well as the United States District Courts in Central, Northern, and Southern Districts of California.
- Super Lawyers Rising Star 2016, 2018, 2019
- Top Attorney 2014 – 2016, 2018 (Pasadena Magazine)
- Vice Chair, California Lawyers Association Intellectual Property Section
- Marketing and Communications Board Committee Representative, Alzheimer’s Los Angeles
- Hashtag Trademarks: Legal and Practical Implications of Use by Brand Owners or Third Parties
- Strafford CLE (February 2019)
- Data Privacy and Security After the GDPR: What You Need to Know
- American Bar Association (October 2018)
- A Whole New World: IP an Internet E-Commerce Updates
- California Lawyers Association, Annual Meeting (September 2018)
- Hell’s Angels and Knitted Hats: Are Online Marketplaces Liable for IP Infringement?
- International Technology Law Association, World Conference (May 2018)
- Everything You Need To Know About ADA Website Accessibility
- California Lawyers Association Intellectual Property Section webinar (March 2018)
- ADA Website Accessibility Compliance and Litigation Updates
- Internet Law Leadership Summit (May 2017)
- Social Media and Reputation Management for Small Firms
- State Bar of California, Solo and Small Firm Summit (June 2016)
- Social Media: Can Branding and Marketing Genius Lead to and IP Nightmare?
- International Technology Law Association, World Conference (May 2016)
- Internet Law Leadership Summit (November 2015)
- State Bar Intellectual Property Institute (November 2015)
- Lions, Tigers and Friends: Social Media Year in Review
- State Bar Annual Meeting (October 2015)
- Technology Panel: Ethical Guidelines for Practicing in the Cloud
- Century City Bar Association (October 2015)
- Tips to Promote Your Business Online and Avoid Legal Pitfalls
- ProVisors, Beverly Hills and Santa Monica (2015)
- Digital Legacies: Balancing Privacy Rights and the Right to Access
- Internet Law Leadership Summit (June 2015)
- What Happens To Your Online Life After Death?
- International Technology Law Association, World Conference (February 2015)
- Digital Assets After Death
- California State Bar, Intellectual Property Section Webinar, Moderator (April 2015)
- Hashtagging: What You Need to Know about Hashtags as Trademarks, Hashtag Litigation, the FTC, Viral Campaigns, and More
- The Computer & Internet Lawyer, Wolters Kluwer, November 2016
- Social Media: What Lawyers Should Know About #Hashtags
- InsideTrack: State Bar of Wisconsin, November 2016