Daniel A. Rozansky
Direct Voice/Fax/Text: 818.444.4548
Daniel Rozansky is a Partner of the firm in the Business Litigation Practice.
Clients engage Dan before disputes ever arise to advise on strategies to minimize litigation risk and to put clients in a position for a successful outcome if litigation does arise. For example, he regularly reviews television pilots, screenplays and other material in development to assist those clients in identifying and avoiding potential liabilities; he advises clients, including Fortune 100 companies, on best practices for recording communications; he counsels clients on best practices to protect trade secrets and other confidential information; and he guides clients contemplating exiting unfavorable business relationships. When disputes arise, Dan brings his decades of experience at AmLaw 100 and 200 firms and his relentless approach help achieve the best possible outcome for his clients. This approach has led Dan to be recognized as an industry leader, including being listed as a top entertainment and media litigator in Chambers USA (2011-2019). In 2013, 2014, and 2016, he was featured in Variety’s “Legal Impact Report,” which names the top attorneys who are making a significant impact in the entertainment industry.
In areas of entertainment and media litigation, Dan Rozansky represents clients across multiple platforms including film, television, music, concerts and touring, and digital media. As a result of his well-recognized skills, Dan has prevailed in a number of high-stakes entertainment cases, including some of Hollywood’s most significant cases in the areas of copyright, trademark, First amendment, profit participation, reality television, right of publicity, rights of privacy and breach of implied contract.
Dan’s achievements are not limited to the entertainment industry. He has successfully represented clients in the real estate, toy, banking, insurance, restaurant, clothing, luxury goods, and travel industries, in such areas as trade secrets, partnership, contract, and unfair competition disputes. While Dan is known for his willingness to “take it all the way”, Dan’s goal is to design a strategy to put his clients in the best position for early dismissal including through motions to dismiss, anti-SLAPP motions, summary judgment motions, and favorable settlements. As a result, not only has Dan achieved early dismissal of multiple claims and actions, but he has also prevailed in cases short of trial, resulting in significant recoveries. When cases do go to trial, Dan has achieved great success at the state, federal and appellate levels. In all instances when his clients prevail, Dan looks for opportunities to recover their attorneys’ fees and has, in fact, recovered millions of dollars in fees for his clients.
Outside of work, Dan enjoys spending time and traveling with his wife and two daughters. Dan sits on the Board of Directors at Vista del Mar, a non-profit organization founded in 1908 that provides comprehensive, family-centered social, educational, and behavioral health services, which encourage children, adolescents and their families to lead self-reliant, stable, and productive lives.
Insights & Features
Practice & Experience
- Represented the managing member in a dispute regarding several LLCs that were established to develop real estate in Southern California. The plaintiffs alleged that our client breached his fiduciary duties as the managing member and sought compensatory and punitive damages, as well as an accounting. Following a bench trial in 2016, the Los Angeles superior court denied the plaintiffs’ claims in their entirety and granted our client’s cross-complaint, awarding him damages and all of the attorneys’ fees they sought to recover.
- Prevailed on anti-SLAPP motions resulting in the dismissal of over $500 million in claims.
- Brought successful motion to dismiss copyright infringement claims in connection with the song P.I.M.P.
- Represented Move, Inc. in lawsuit against competitor real estate site Zillow and two of its senior executives. The plaintiffs, who own and operate the realtor.com website, brought claims for misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty, among others, in the King county superior court in seattle, Washington. The case ended with a $130M settlement in clients’ favor on the first day of trial in June 2016.
- Secured a significant victory for rap superstar Jay-Z in copyright infringement case relating to the use of a sample of a small snippet of an Egyptian song, Khosara Khosara in the hit song Big Pimpin’. After six days of trial, a federal judge in Los Angeles granted all defendants judgment as a matter of law.
- Won an anti-SLAPP motion that resulted in dismissal of claims against Bunim-Murray Productions, Kris Jenner, and Kim, Kourtney and Khloe Kardashian.
- Won multi-million dollar liquidated damages award on summary judgment in breach of contract action and won award for the recovery by his client of over 95% of the attorneys’ fees he spent.
- Represented numerous clients regarding claims of tape recording without consent.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction preventing the disbursement of misappropriated funds regarding the production of a major motion picture.
- Prevailed on a motion to dismiss putative class action against investigative consumer reporting agency for alleged wrongful disclosure of personal information.
- Prevailed on a motion to dismiss and subsequent appeal of dismissal to the Fifth Circuit of RICO action against private equity fund alleging wrongful sale of insurance policies.
- Won summary judgment against film financier regarding breach of guaranty.
- Obtained emergency injunctive relief on behalf of Sears in connection with a media buyer’s improper use of advertising money. The injunctive relief aided in the recovery of more than $20 million.
- Obtained emergency injunction regarding improper foreclosure on intellectual property collateral.
- Obtained multimillion-dollar writ of attachment on behalf of premiere radio networks regarding a dispute regarding advertising.
- Prevailed in a dispute over a client’s right to obtain tax refund arising out of production filmed in New Mexico.
- Defended a German media company Tele Munchen Group in a multimillion-dollar international arbitration concerning distribution rights to the movie The Chronicles of Riddick.
- Obtained a multimillion-dollar writ of attachment and successfully obtained dismissal of bankruptcy regarding a production loan.
- Defended the Japanese rights holder and executive producer of the hit movie The Ring at trial against claims of fraud, breach of contract and unfair business practices.
- Obtained dismissal of dispute regarding the right distribute the film Snowpiercer in Russia based on the argument that the license agreement did not comply with United States copyright law.
- Obtained a large settlement for a Fortune 500 company in an action against a competitor for theft of trade secrets and unlawful recruiting of employees.
- Counseled lenders regarding SEC and attorney general investigations.
- Represented a client in a class action relating to its inkjet printer technology.