Murray Markiles is a founding partner of the Firm, and a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee.
Murray advises venture capital funds, and public and private clients across a number of industries, including companies in the venture capital, Internet, technology, and apparel industries.
Murray’s practice involves providing advice in connection corporate matters (including strategic joint ventures, strategic litigation, intellectual property exploitation and protection, corporate finance and business development), venture capital and angel financings, mergers and acquisitions, and private equity and debt securities offerings.
Murray’s is a managing director of, Europlay Capital Advisors, LLC, a merchant bank, and a director of ECA Fund Advisors, an Exempt Reporting Advisor that manages two substantial early stage venture capital funds. Before founding the Firm, Murray was a partner of Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, LLP.
Murray received his J.D. degree in 1986 from the University of California at Los Angeles. He attended UCLA, where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science, magna cum laude, in 1983. He is a member of the California Bar.
practice & experience
- advising very high net worth founders and family offices in connection with the start-up and growth of US and foreign new technology businesses;
- advising substantial venture capital funds in connection with capital raising, fund formation, portfolio investment and strategic structuring and founder level matters;
- advising a technology company and owner of multiple significant cloud computing technologies and patents in connection intellectual property monetization and selection, retention and management of litigation teams; and management, coordination and strategy for the conduct of robust licensing and litigation program, including settlement negotiations, mediations and Federal Court actions;
- advising the founders of Skype, in connection with the formation and financing of Skype and its acquisition by eBay for US$3.6 billion; and their subsequent acquisition, along with a consortium of private equity and venture capital firms led by Silver Lake Partners; and the US$2.8 billion acquisition of Skype from eBay Inc. in 2009 and US$ 8.5 billion sale of Skype to Microsoft in 2011;
- structuring commercial transactions and joint ventures for the purpose of licensing content and technology.